Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fish Wharf and National Cathedral

Thursday, August 27: Fish Wharf: Down by the Potomac River, in an area picturesquely framed by interstate 395, lies a hidden fish market. These permanent stalls stand on floating barges, and have every imaginable shellfish (at least on this coast), and dozens of male fishmongers who want to know "if you ladies need anything." I got a great deal on crab legs from a man I didn't even know I was bargaining with! For lunch, we followed the crowds to Jimmy's, where you order from what literally looks like a hole at ground level. I had to squat down to yell out my order. We followed what other people were ordering and ended up with giant shrimp stuffed with crab meat and baked with lots of butter (yum!), a crab cake, yeast rolls, and an Arnold Palmer (mix of iced tea and lemonade). This last item was essential, as the heat coming up from the parking lot we were standing in was doing us in. We ate standing at a railing over looking the boats, fending off very assertive pigeons and unknown seabirds.
Wednesday, August 26: National Cathedral. Sarah and I drove to the National Cathedral, where we took a tour. It looks a lot like an English cathedral. I am not really moved by the gothic style, but it was cool to finally see up close what I have viewed many times from Miriam's rooftop.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so excited you're writing this blog, and I'll check it every day. Thoughts: your seafood descriptions make me swoon. Sarah's hair is SO LONG! You look so relaxed!

    Love you, love you, love you,
    ~D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second absolutely everything that Dane said, except that the seafood descriptions made me think, "Wow, that sounds SO not kosher." :p

    Love you!
    ~S

    (I wavered a bit over what to call myself here. Finally decided that since I comment on Dane's blog as Sparrow, I might as well continue the trend. *smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're blogging! And I live like 2 blocks away from the fish market, so let me know if you ever come back.

    ReplyDelete