Monday, November 23, 2009

Waffle House

Saturday, November 21:
Somewhere amidst the revelry of Friday night it was decided that we would all breakfast at the Waffle House down the street from our hotel. My dad's students had spoken enthusiastically about its merits, and I think we all pictured a cross between Cracker Barrel, and IHOP, with a focus on fluffy Belgian waffles. That wasn't quite what we walked in to. It was kind of like a fish-fry joint, except breakfast food. We were seated in the "non-smoking" section, which was kind of funny because the whole restaurant was about the size of my apartment minus the bedrooms. The smoking and non-smoking sections were separated only by the griddle. It was highly sanitary (especially when they put Jill's undercooked eggs back on the grill for a little more cooking). The eleven of us squeezed into two booths probably meant for 2-4 people each. Molly was in fact calling my mother on her cell phone at the next booth in this photo.

The best part was that there was a booth in between our two booths, with a family in it. Elisa, Brian and my dad arrived a bit later and it was not immediately apparent if there would be enough space for all of us. So Brian squeezed in with the family in the middle booth. They looked seriously alarmed, probably because they had not been following our conversation, not being English-speakers.

Anyways, we all ordered some combinations of eggs, hash browns, biscuits, etc. Mike was especially excited about his breakfast:
I figured I should get the eponymous dish: a waffle. It was very thin, but quite tasty. The biscuits Jill and Mike had were excellent--I finally found a biscuit I like! I think the key ingredient is a lot of grease. Dad had grits with his chili-cheese omlet. Elisa decided to be adventurous and sample grits for the first time.
Gearing up for her first bite:
Love the look on her face!
Quickly seeking out coffee.
"Interesting," she proclaimed. Sheryl said the same thing about the biscuit with gray sausage gravy on Sunday morning...

Alexa (18) picked me up for a hair do and remarked, "I can't believe you guys went to Waffle House. Waffle House is where you go if it's 3 O'clock in the morning and you've been partying and there's nowhere else to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment