Friday, November 6, 2009

Weekend in Northampton: Sunday

Sunday morning we took a walk in the woods, something I have missed while living in Bethesda. The leaves in New England are so much more vivid than they are down here. Before my weekend with Sarah, I thought it looked like fall here. Now the colors on the trees in Virginia seem muddy in comparison. If you don't like photographs that are mostly foliage, scroll down for a while.





Hungry from our walk (ok, I will face it. When are we ever not hungry? This blog is mostly about what I eat), we went to Woodstar for their fabulous bagel sandwiches. Our favorite sandwich is East Meets Woodstar, usually served on their homemade bagels (I had mine on sourdough toast this time). It contains cream cheese, lox, undyed pickled ginger, cukes and wasabi. We also enjoyed an iced latte (me) and an iced chai (Sarah). It was lovely and warm outside, as evidenced by our cold beverages. Ok, by Sarah's cold beverage. I will drink something iced at any time. Also note that empty tic-tac container that had until recently contained my supply of lactaid pills for the weekend. Evidence of a delicious weekend!
After poking around Noho shops some more (yes, the themes of the weekend were eating and poking around), we spotted Rosie and Yael across the street. We joined them in listening to Mount Holyoke's M&Cs (Milk and Cookies). They were excellent musically and had lots of fun singing. Some of the Smith groups take themselves a little seriously, so it was nice to see some levity.
Rosie was wearing her new Old Navy sweater that she claimed to have been wearing ever since she bought it. Yael clarified that she had not slept in it.
Somehow hungry again, we cajoled Rosie and Yael into joining us at the new burger place in town, Local Burger, to try their fried pickles. I think they had counted on each having 1 or 2, but the pickles came like a giant basket of french fries, and their consumption help was necessary, appreciated and enjoyed by all. These pickles were thin dill slices coated in a corn meal-salt-pepper mixture and fried until crispy. The perfect mix of juicy and crunchy. I was instantly addicted.
Overall, it was a wonderful weekend. Basically, we spent most of the weekend eating. Or shopping, or walking around. I love Northampton, and my friends there. I returned feeling loved and satisfied. And very full.

No comments:

Post a Comment