Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Weekend in Northampton: Thursday

I spent the past weekend in Northampton, celebrating my 24th birthday and 2 year anniversary. It was a lovely fall weekend.

Thursday, October 29: My birthday! I flew into Northampton in the evening and was picked up at the airport by Sarah, Maggie and Amanda. I hadn't seen Amanda in almost a year, and I was so glad to!! Sarah is in Wesley this year, and it felt strange to drop Amanda at Haven and proceed on to Wesley. Sarah has a great room--a single the size of a double, with views of the pond.

Almost immediately, we met up with Rosalie, Yael, and Jamie for a birthday trip to Herrell's. On your birthday (upon presentation of ID) you receive a free sundae at Northampton's favorite ice cream shop. There is a serious lack of ice cream in DC, so I was psyched. Everyone got what they loved most, from Amanda's sweet cream with gummy bears to Sarah's cookie dough with mint hot fudge. I had Emerald City (green mint ice cream with andies candies and green sprinkles) with hot fudge, non-pareils, and chocolate whipped cream. (Does everyone pronounce it 'whip cream' like I do?).


Rosie and Yael made me cards for my birthday. They said they were inspired by the birthday cards I had sent them. They also bought me a package of digestive biscuits!! I ate these nonstop in London. I promised that I would actually eat them instead of save them until they were rock-hard stale.

It was Northampton High's homecoming weekend, so we got to see the floats and throngs of high schoolers in different costumes. The parade used to go right by Haven, and we would stand on the porch roof and wave. At the parade on Thursday, I ran into Chris White-Ziegler, my adviser! I met her husband and told her a bit about my job. It was really nice to see her.

Back at the house, Sarah gave me my birthday present: a Jewish Vegetarian around-the-world cookbook. It has Jewish recipes from everywhere--Turkey, India, Romania, etc. I am really excited about it. A great birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment