Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Forum on Microbial Threats

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a conference in DC on "The Domestic and International Impacts of the 2009 Influenza A H1N1 Pandemic." I metroed into the city with everyone else, dressed in my little-worn suit. I felt pretty snazzy, I must say. Amazingly, I was not overdressed. I've never actually been in an environment where a suit is commonplace. The conference was held at the Institute of Medicine at the National Academies of Sciences, located across from the National Building Museum (pictured above).

The sessions were really great! I learned so much about the actual virus, in scientific terms that made me glad of my bio background, but not bored. I thought for the first time about the impact of flu on Third World countries (I know, I should have considered this previously). We heard from people at CDC, WHO, and various prestigious universities. One of the coolest things was a talk by the man who had directed the CDC during the 1976 Swine Flu predicted pandemic. That outbreak is the reason people now fear Guillian Barré Syndrome with vaccine (don't fear it! Get vaccinated--ask me if you have more questions). This man was in his 80s, and recalled the whole scenario from memory, as if he were telling a story. I'm not doing a great job describing all of this, but it was a great day and I came away with lots of new information.

At lunch the vegetarian option was just lettuce, so I wandered upstairs to the NAS cafeteria. This photo is taken from the eating area, which stretches all the way up like that. The view was much better than the egg salad.
Today I was supposed to go the second day of the conference for surveillance, epidemiology and ethics, but I woke up really dizzy. It has subsided for periods of time, but I have been dizzy most of the day. So I've read (I can focus on one thing, but when I move my eyes or head too much things spin) a book and a half, watched a movie, and napped. Tomorrow I'm going home for Rosh Hashannah! I can't wait!

1 comment: