Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dupont Circle Farmer's Market

So, you know how I mentioned that I was feeling in a fog, and quiet inside? I think I realized why. For the first time in a really long time, I neither stressed nor anxious. I've started my job, things are great with Sarah (not that they ever weren't), and I am, at least for the next little bit, not worried about the future. Even the things that are in transition, like my living situation are not stressing me out. I know they will happen and will be ok. This is an unusal feeling for me, and I don't quite know what to do with it. But it's good. Things in my life are good now.

Today I was feeling kind of solitary. It seemed like the time to take the plunge: going downtown alone for the first time since May. It was strange to wait for the metro by myself. Sarah and I had taken to doing crossword puzzles or playing guessing games while we waited. Luckily I had brought a letter to write. I made my way to the Dupont Circle Farmer's Market. I got there around later than I ever had, so many of the vendors were dropping prices, and calling out remaining quantities of their produce. It was still bustling--many more people my age in Dupont than at the Bethesda one. Part of the street is blocked off, and there are just throngs of young professionals with cloth bags, and families buying in bulk. It was the last week for peaches. We have had such a sweet peach season here.
This stand has a wide selection of organic veggies. I don't often buy organic; at a farmer's market I don't think it matters so much. But these people have the best looking produce often, from this mound of green beans to the leafy chard that came with verbal cooking instructions.
Loved this rainbow of peppers.
And here is the bounty I packed into my backpack, using the lettuce to cushion the peaches. There will be bits of lettuce in that bag for a long time.
I love this market--it always makes me feel like I'm part of something. But what follows might be my favorite thing about Dupont Circle:

No comments:

Post a Comment