Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Multinational Cuisine and Office Space

Tuesday, September 8: While my Smithie friends started classes, I had my first day at the office without any meetings. I got a lot done, including calling many doctors' offices to sign them up to give people the vaccine. It was not nearly as scary to talk to these strangers on the phone as I had anticipated. People were generally friendly and well-informed. Also today I picked up 2 speaking gigs in the community. I like giving people information and talking in my phone voice. The above photo shows the magnitude of my office. The photo is taken from the opposite corner as my desk. Soon there will be other people in the space too, but I am enjoying the quiet for now. And that, on the coat rack, is the top half of the duck suit.
Every day as I drive down Route 28 to the highway (in Virginia), I pass this sign. Who would think that one restaurant would serve such a plethora of international cuisine? Latin American! Middle Easten! Italian! Philadelphian! and of course, that famous dish, breakfast. I stopped to get gas the other day, looked up, and was surprised to find that I was under the sign. Yes, folks, this sign advertises the culinary offerings of the gas station.

It's starting to feel like fall, and it's sinking in that I'm alone here now, with Sarah and Im gone. Right now I feel fairly peaceful, but last night I was missing Convocation dearly. I was remembering how it felt to be a first year, when everything was so exciting and every person I met was a potential friend. But the grown-up (?) life has its perks: no homework and good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment